Picture yourself standing at the edge of the ocean, feeling the warmth of the sun on your skin and the cool breeze in your hair. You take a deep breath and close your eyes, taking in the soothing scent of the sea. That's the feeling we strive to capture in all of our products here at Archipelago.
We believe that taking care of your hands should be a luxurious experience that transports you to your favorite destinations around the world. Whether you're a jet-setter or a homebody, our goal is to bring the best of global fragrances and experiences to your fingertips, literally.
We understand the importance of having soft and smooth hands, not just for the sake of appearance, but for your overall well-being. Our hands are the tools we use to touch the world, to connect with others, and to create. They deserve to be pampered with the finest ingredients and care, just like the rest of our body. That's why we've put together this comprehensive guide on how to get well-moisturized hands naturally, so that you can feel confident and comfortable in your own skin.
The Culprits Behind Dry, Cracked Hands
Before we jump into the essential tips and techniques for achieving soft, silky hands, it's important to understand the common causes of dryness. Dry hands can be caused by a variety of factors, from environmental conditions to daily habits including:
#1 Frequent Hand Washing
Frequent hand washing is essential for good hygiene, but it can also be the cause of dry and rough hands. Water, soap, and hand sanitizers can strip the skin of its natural oils, leaving it dry, flaky, and itchy. To prevent this, try using a mild soap or hand wash, such as Archipelago’s Grapefruit Hand Wash, that's gentle on the skin. You can also use a moisturizer, such as our Grapefruit Hand Lotion, after washing your hands to keep them looking and feeling soft and smooth.
#2 Cold Weather
Brrr! Winter can be a tough season for our hands. The icy cold air can be harsh and cause our hands to feel dry, rough, and cracked. Make sure to keep your hands protected by wearing warm, cozy gloves when you're outside, and apply a nourishing lotion or hand crème regularly to keep them moisturized and hydrated. Your hands will thank you for the extra care during the winter months.
#3 Exposure to Harsh Chemicals
Your poor hands may be suffering from the harsh chemicals they come into contact with on a daily basis. Whether it's cleaning products, detergents, or even beauty products, these chemicals can strip your skin of its natural oils, leaving it feeling dry and irritated. That's why it's essential to protect your hands by wearing gloves when handling these products. You can also opt for gentle and non-irritating alternatives, including natural cleaning products, to minimize the damage to your skin.
Aging affects our bodies in so many ways, including our hands. As we grow older, our skin loses its natural moisture, which can leave our hands dry and prone to wrinkles. Our hands are constantly exposed to the sun, wind, and harsh weather, making them even more susceptible to dryness. That’s why it is so important to invest in moisturizers that contain powerful ingredients to help hydrate and rejuvenate your hands, leaving them soft, smooth, and supple.
#5 Medical Conditions
Living with medical conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and diabetes can be tough. Not only do they affect our health, but they can also take a toll on our skin. These conditions can cause our hands to become dry, rough, and even prone to infections, which is why it’s so important to seek medical advice and develop a personalized treatment plan to keep your skin healthy and happy.
5 Everyday Habits for Softer Hands
Well-hydrated hands not only look great but also feel amazing to the touch. Achieving this is easier than you might think. Here are some tips and tricks to help you get those baby-soft hands you've always wanted:
#1 Moisturize Regularly
We can't stress this enough! Keeping your hands well-moisturized is one of the most important things you can do to achieve soft, smooth skin. Whether you're dealing with dryness from harsh weather or simply want to keep your skin looking its best, a high-quality hand crème or lotion is a must-have.
Look for body care products that are packed with nourishing ingredients like vitamin E, which can deeply hydrate and protect the skin, as well as coconut oil and jojoba oil, which are known for their moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties.
At Archipelago, we offer a range of hand crèmes that are specifically designed to nourish and hydrate the skin, leaving your hands feeling soft, supple, and luxurious to the touch. Whether you prefer a rich, creamy formula or something lightweight and fast-absorbing, our hand crèmes of which include a Botanico de Havana Hand Crème and Coconut Hand Crème, are the perfect way to give your skin the care it deserves.
If you want to achieve irresistibly soft hands, it's important to get rid of any dead skin cells that may be dulling your skin's natural glow. Dead skin cells can build up over time, causing your hands to feel rough and dry.
By incorporating a gentle exfoliating scrub into your hand care routine, you can easily buff away any dead skin cells and reveal the soft, smooth skin underneath. Products like our Black Honey Body Scrub or Oat Milk Body Scrub are perfect for this job. Made with natural ingredients like sugar and essential oils that work together to gently exfoliate and moisturize your hands, you can count on Archipelago to nourish your skin.
#3 Use Gloves
Our hands are constantly exposed to various elements, from harsh chemicals to extreme temperatures, and it's important to take steps to protect them. One of the easiest ways to do this is by wearing gloves, especially when you're doing housework, gardening, or working with chemicals. Not only will gloves help prevent dryness and roughness, but they'll also protect your hands from potentially harmful substances.
Aside from protecting your hands while completing household chores, there's another way to make use of gloves for the benefit of your hands. Wearing cotton gloves to bed can be an effective way to help your hands soak in the moisturizing properties of your hand crème or body lotion, leaving them feeling soft and supple in the morning.
When you apply hand crème before bed, the crème can easily rub off onto your sheets and blankets, leaving less on your hands to soak in overnight. By wearing gloves, you can keep the crème in place and allow it to fully absorb into your skin, resulting in smoother, more hydrated hands.
#4 Stay Hydrated
Drinking enough water is not only essential for staying hydrated, but it can also have a huge impact on the appearance and feel of your skin. Dehydrated skin can be dry, flaky, and even itchy, so making sure you're getting enough water can make all the difference.
Aim for at least eight glasses of water a day, and try to incorporate more hydrating foods into your diet as well, such as fruits and vegetables with high water content. By keeping your body hydrated, you'll be doing your hands - and your whole body - a big favor.
#5 Avoid harsh soaps
When it comes to hand care, it's not just about the products you use to moisturize and protect them. The very soap you use to wash your hands can have a big impact on how soft and smooth they feel.
Opt for a soap that is formulated with nourishing ingredients like shea butter, coconut oil, or aloe vera, which can help boost skin hydration levels. Our Archipelago Botanicals Milk Hand Wash, for example, is an excellent option to help you cleanse and moisturize your hands simultaneously.
The Power of Plant-Based Ingredients for Hand Care
Now that you have a good understanding of what causes dryness and how to boost skin hydration, it's time to take a closer look at the ingredients in your hand care products. After all, the right ingredients can make all the difference when it comes to achieving that soft, supple skin you're after.
Here are some of the best ingredients used in hand care products that are key to maintaining healthy skin:
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that can penetrate the skin easily, providing deep hydration. It also contains fatty acids that help to improve skin texture and elasticity, making it an ideal ingredient for hand care.1
- Shea Butter: Shea butter is a natural emollient that is rich in vitamins and minerals. It helps to moisturize and soften the skin, making it a great ingredient for hand crème and lotions.2
- Jojoba Oil: Jojoba oil is a natural moisturizer that is similar in structure to the natural oils produced by the skin. It can help to hydrate and soften the skin, while also helping to repair and protect it from damage.3
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is a natural plant extract that is known for its soothing and hydrating properties. It can help to calm and heal dry, irritated skin, making it a great ingredient for hand care products.4
- Glycerin: Glycerin is a humectant that helps to attract and retain moisture in the skin. It can help to hydrate and soften the skin, while also helping to protect it from damage.5
- Milk Proteins: Milk proteins contain lactic acid, which helps to exfoliate and remove dead skin cells, revealing smoother, brighter skin on your hands.6
- Honey: Honey is known to deeply hydrate and soothe the skin while also containing beneficial antioxidants and antimicrobial compounds that can help prevent infections.7
Luckily, Archipelago offers a range of hand crèmes, lotions, and soaps that are formulated with natural ingredients like shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, honey, and glycerin – all known for their hydrating and skin-soothing properties. By incorporating Archipelago hand care products into your daily routine, you can keep your hands feeling well-nourished.
Elevate Your Hand Care Routine with Archipelago
Incorporating these tips into your daily routine can help you achieve the healthy and nourished hands you deserve. And with the help of Archipelago's hand care products, such as our Black Honey Hand Crème and Coconut Body Scrub, achieving well-hydrated hands has never been easier.
From nourishing ingredients like coconut and jojoba oil to the hydrating properties of honey and glycerin, our products are designed to pamper your hands and provide them with the care they need. So go ahead and treat yourself to a little self-care with Archipelago's hand care line, and watch as your hands become the envy of all.
- National Eczema Association. “Get the Facts: Coconut Oil.” National Eczema Association, National Eczema Association, 22 Mar. 2019, nationaleczema.org/blog/get-the-facts-coconut-oil/.
- Byrdie. “The Benefits of Shea Butter for Skin and Hair.” Byrdie, Byrdie, 16 Mar. 2021, www.byrdie.com/shea-butter-skin-care-benefits-and-beauty-recipes-2442773.
- Diva, Pooja. “Jojoba Oil: Benefits And How To Use It For Skin And Hair.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 28 Dec. 2020, www.forbes.com/health/body/jojoba-oil/.
- Surjushe, Amar, et al. “Aloe Vera: A Short Review.” Natural Medicine Journal, vol. 5, no. 12, 2013, pp. 1-6. Natural Medicine Journal, www.naturalmedicinejournal.com/journal/2013-12/aloe-vera-gel-research-review.
- Singh, Rahul, et al. "A review on the efficacy of natural products based formulations for management of facial acne." Scientific Reports, vol. 12, no. 1, 2022, pp. 1-18, doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-13452-2.
- Kadam, S. S., et al. “Cosmetic Benefits of Natural Ingredients: An Overview.” Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine, vol. 12, no. 1, 2022, pp. 9–21. PubMed Central, doi: 10.1016/j.jtcme.2021.05.011.
- Lin, Tzu-Kai, et al. “Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils.” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 19, no. 1, 2018, p. 70., doi:10.3390/ijms19010070.